Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Basho Cafe

2007 East Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC

On a dreary autumn day, what's better than treating oneself to a hearty, homemade meal? It was pouring rain outside but W agreed to make the drive out to Basho Cafe.


Teri Pulled Pork Rice Bowl ($10 + $3 Lunch Set) - with cup of pumpkin soup and mini sweets

We ordered a lunch set to share and I also hand picked a couple of baked treats on the side (not pictured because we ate them all before I remembered to photograph them!).

Just looking at this tray made me feel all warm and cozy! The smooth and creamy pumpkin soup came in a cute vintage mug. The colour and flavour was just right for a grey and wet day. The teriyaki pulled pork could have used more sauce but it was yummy and the portion was just right.

Mini Sweets - Matcha Mochi Mochi Brownie, Honey Lemon Madeleine, Black Sesame Miso Shortbread

The lunch set came with a trio of mini sweet treats. This time the plate had a matcha mochi brownie, a glazed madeleine, and a miso shortbread cookie dotted with black sesame. They were all delicious and I would eat a dozen of them if I could!

CafĂ© Latte ($4.00) and Houji-cha Fog ($4.00)

For drinks, W ordered a latte which was served in a traditional Japanese matcha mug. I decided to try their Houji-cha Fog.


This was their take on the London Fog. The roasted green tea was steeped, blended with a light syrup and then steamed milk poured on top. Houji-cha is one of my favourite teas, so this drink was right up my alley. It's perfect for a chilly day like this one!

Not long after we visited Basho Cafe, we found out that the owners were going to retire and close shop at the end of 2016! W and I were shocked and saddened to hear the news. Well, mainly it was me who was said because I just love love love their little sweet baked goodies.

Earlier this year, one of Basho's former employees took over the space and re-opened under the name of Yama Cafe with a similar menu and operating style. Maybe I'll make a visit and check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment