Monday, August 8, 2016

Sanpoutei Ramen

160 - 4328 No. 3 Road
Richmond, BC

Earlier in the year, there was a huge hype on social media regarding a new ramen restaurant opening up in Richmond. Every time I opened up facebook, there was always someone posting photos of steaming hot bowls of ramen. Finally, I couldn't resist the temptation and dragged W with me to go try out Sanpoutei Ramen.

The restaurant opened up not too long ago but I, along with dozens and dozens of other people, waited for over an hour just to try this new ramen place! My goodness, the power of social media!

Deep Fried Spring Chicken with Oroshi Yuzu Ponzu Sauce

Since we waited for an hour, our anticipation and our hunger gradually rose higher and higher. Aside from a bowl of ramen each, we ordered a plate of kaarage as an appetizer. There were several flavours and toppings for their kaarage. We went for the grated daikon and tangy citrus soy option. The fried chicken pieces were meaty and juicy while the battered exterior was only slightly crunchy due to the sauce. The chicken was a little greasy but it was still yummy though!

Tori Ramen

Sanpoutei Ramen actually specializes in chicken broth ramen. The mouthfeel of the soup is more sticky, with a thicker viscosity, due to the collagen in the chicken bones. Due to that viscosity and an oily layer on top, both W and I were not very fond of it. In fact, W thought there wasn't much depth of flavour to the soup and liked my miso broth more. However, the lightly torched fatty pork belly cha siu was right up his alley while I picked out the long strips of fat =__=

Tori x Miso Ramen

I chose the miso version of the chicken broth. It came with a ton of vegetables which helped break up the stickiness of the soup. Also, Sanpoutei's ramen noodles were not the typical round and curly, or thin and straight noodles. Their's were flatter and a little wider...sort of like flat udon noodle. Some may like it but it's not my preferred noodle of choice.

After that night's dinner, it has solidified the ramen preferences of W and I even more. We definitely like tonkotsu ramen much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment