Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Miku

70 - 200 Granville Street
Vancouver, BC

I admit, I'm actually not that very romantic of a person. For our wedding anniversary, W and I didn't really know what to do to celebrate ^__^;; Since we had talked for a long time about trying Miku, we decided to have our anniversary dinner there.

Shiso Mojito - shochu, fresh lime, shiso leaf

I started off with a refreshing and bubbly Mojito. Instead of mint, it was muddled with fragrant shiso leaves. I love the smell and taste of shiso, so this simple cocktail was just right for my palate.

Kaiso Seaweed Salad - nutrigreens garm organic baby greens, cucumber, campari tomato, radish, avocado, crunchy arare, spicy sesame-ponzu vinaigrette

All the ingredients in the salad went well together and I especially liked the crunchy lotus root slices. Lucky for me, W doesn't like lotus roots so I got to eat them all haha... This was definitely a salad I could finish all by myself!

Aburi Beef Carpaccio - sterling silver AAA short rib, tamari horseradish creme fraiche, 64 degree organic egg, jalapeno-garlic ponzu, organic baby greens

Although this version was tasty, I liked the traditional Italian style beef carpaccio with Parmesan cheese and capers more.

Miku Roll - salmon, crab, uni, cucumber, rolled in tobiko, Miku sauce

Originally, I chose this roll because there was uni (sea urchin) inside. However, when it came, we noticed something was amiss. We weren't quite sure what was different until at the end of the meal I finally figured it out. The uni was missing!!! On the bill, it also stated that there was no uni inside the roll so they automatically deducted $2 off. I was kind of miffed about that because our server totally did not let us know that uni was unavailable that day. She could have let us know at the beginning and asked if we wanted to change our order but none of that happened. When we inquired about the bill it was then that she told us uni was not in season so the restaurant did not have any. WELL! If we had known earlier then we would have changed our order! It felt like I had been duped!! /End rant

Salmon Oshi Sushi - pressed BC wild sockeye salmon, jalapeno, Miku sauce

The obligatory order for every first time Miku customer, the salmon oshi sushi. I thought the torched Miku sauce was what made it tasty, otherwise I actually wasn't too wowed by it.

Premium Aburi Nigiri - chef's selection of feature nigiri, lightly flame seared Aburi style, each paired with our house made sauce

I was, however, impressed with their aburi nigiri sushi though! Plated and presented very beautifully, each piece of sushi was like a work of art! Each piece had a different sauce and different topping which made each one a unique experience.

Ebi Fritter - white tiger prawns, herb-beer battered, sweet chili aioli, soy-balsamic reduction, chili powder

Not feeling too full, we added a last minute dish to our table. With several large, meaty prawns, the "ebi mayo" (as it would have been traditionally called) did the trick in filling up the remaining space in our tummies. I just wasn't too fond of the Caesar salad that was paired with the prawns though. Since there was already a creamy aioli on the prawn fritters, I would have liked something lighter and fresh on the greens.

Maple-miso Ice Cream

We finished off the night with a bowl of ice cream to share. Looking at the flavour options on the menu, the maple-miso jumped right out at me! Chocolate, strawberry....so boring! LOL...maple miso sounded so intriguing! More sweet than salty, the miso taste didn't really shine through but the ice cream was still good nonetheless.

Even though I wasn't floored or wowed by every dish that we ordered, Miku is still a great place to go for special occasions. To me, the aburi sushi is a must-try and one of the reasons why Miku is so recommended for their high-end, high-quality nigiri sushi. At last, W and I got to check this one off our list!

No comments:

Post a Comment