Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Alaskan Cruise - Day 5: Juneau ~ Photo-log

On day 6, we have arrived at Juneau. The sky wasn't cooperating well for us. The rain was on and off but by the afternoon, the sun came out! How do I dress for this kind of weather?! 

Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls

We docked at Juneau around mid-morning and all of us boarded a tour bus to check out Mendenhall Glacier. It wasn't far away, maybe about 30 minutes away from the dock? Although not as grand and large as Hubbard Glacier (at least the portion where the glacier meets the water), we got to hike near the water, view the glacier, as well as Nugget Falls, from a different angle. 

All that hiking sure did build up an appetite (and I suppose not eating much the night before also contributed to my hunger =P). By the time the tour bus dropped us off in downtown Juneau, I was getting hangry. Poor W had to endure the wrath of my hangriness so he quickly scooted me off in search of lunch. 

Seafood chowder - in sourdough bread bowl

We came upon a small restaurant by the water called Flight Deck. They had a nice patio beside the seaplane dock (I guess that's why they're called Flight Deck?? haha...) so we decided to eat here. 

We ordered two items to share: the seafood chowder, which was a creamy red chowder in a sourdough bread bowl, and the crab cakes. The flavour profile was dominated by the smoked salmon, but the smokiness paired well with the chunks of potatoes and sourdough bread.

Crab cakes

The three crabcakes had real crab meat with not much gooey binder so they were nice and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. It made for a nice snack but definitely not as filling as the chowder.

After lunch, W and I went souvenir shopping along the touristy South Franklin Street, and then headed back on the ship to rest, wash up, and get dressed for the second formal night of the cruise.

Scallops Rockefeller - parmesan gratineed with spinach and hollandaise sauce

Tonight's formal night was a seafood feast and I was glad my nausea drifted away so that I could fully enjoy this night's meal! I started with the scallops rockefeller. Sitting atop half of a scallop shell, the scallops were nicely broiled with a thin layer of sauce.

Creamy smoked tomato bisque - with basil pesto and herbed croutons

For my second appetizer, I had the tomato bique. I really liked this soup because 1) I like tomato soup, period. 2) the smokiness of the tomatoes and the basil helped bring out another depth of flavour aside from the slight tanginess of the fruit. Nicely whetted my appetite!

Baby mustard greens salad - with roasted squash, dried cherries, caramelized pecans and lemon vinaigrette

I actually had a third appetizer because I was initially debating on whether to have the scallop or the soup but then our awesome waiter, Roy, told me to just get all three LOL! Since everyone was having the scallop, he didn't want me to miss out on it. I ended up with a triple S (scallop, soup and salad)!! The mustard greens in this salad were actually kale. The salad wasn't exactly mind blowing but it fulfilled the veggie food group for my dinner.


Broiled Caribbean lobster tail - served with rice pilaf, steamed broccoli and drawn butter

The main attraction of the night! I think everyone opted for the broiled lobster as the entree. Beautifully fluffed up and served on top of the lobster tail shell, it had a light dusting of spice and drizzle of melted butter. Delicious!

Creamy Wild mushroom risotto - with black truffle and parmesan

The only one who didn't have the lobster was my little niece. She was in a mushroom-loving phase at the time so my sis ordered the mushroom risotto for her. Perfectly creamy and full of earthy, mushroom flavour, this definitely appeased the little mushroom monster!


Celebrity Signature Baked Alaska - Neapolitan ice cream covered with vanilla sponge and soft meringue

Roy (our waiter) highly recommended the Baked Alaska for dessert. Of course, what better dessert to define our cruise to Alaska than a dessert named after the state? Everyone commented that the sponge cake was not too sweet with a nice soft texture while the meringue was also equally soft and light. This one had rave reviews all around!

Raspberry sorbet

Following my kiwi sorbet from the night before, I wanted to try another sorbet to see if it was just as amazing haha... The raspberry sorbet was also pretty good but not as great as the kiwi. It was on the sweeter side but still very refreshing!

The next day would be a very busy day, a day I was looking forward to the whole trip! It was our port-of-call to Ketchikan, with our very first zip-lining experience arranged for W and I! Afterwards would be fine dining at Murano, the specialty restaurant on Century! Why all the special things on this day?? Well.....*ahem* there's a certain gal having her birthday the next day~ :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment