Sunday, May 3, 2015

Alaskan Cruise - Day 4: Hubbard Glacier ~ Photo-log

Here we are, at the middle of our Alaskan cruise! The itinerary of day 4 consisted of a close-up visit to Hubbard Glacier and the rest of the day was just at sea with the ship heading towards our next port-of-call.


When we woke up in the morning, the ship was already at Yakutat Bay and cruising inside to Disenchantment Bay. The weather was gorgeous so we ate breakfast at the Island Buffet again to take in the stunning views. By early afternoon, we had arrived at the end of Hubbard Glacier where it meets the water. The ship did a couple 360's so that everyone on all sides could see the glacier! That was pretty cool! We even saw a small chunk of the glacier calving! 


After viewing the glacier, we had another late lunch at the buffet. I don't know if it was the 360 spinning that the ship did or if the sea sickness finally kicked in but I felt quite queasy after lunch. I ended up having to take a nap and woke up in time to get ready for dinner at The Grand.

Caprese - vine ripe tomatoes layered with Buffalo mozzarella, basil and arugula, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette

I started off with a light appetizer since I was still not feelin' it. Two thick slices of beefsteak tomatoes sandwiched chunks of mozzarella. The portion was just right for me and I liked that the vinaigrette was on the side so I could determine how much I wanted to wipe on my forkful of tomato and cheese. Simple but delicious.

Braised Beef Cheeks - celery root puree, roasted parsnips, broccoli rabe

There weren't any "light" options that appealed to me for my entree. I decided on the braised beef cheeks because it sounded quite home-style and easy to eat. Unfortunately, my stomach still disagreed with me and wouldn't let me enjoy this flavourful and tender cut of meat :( I wish I could have packed it up because it was such a waste to see such yummy food partially left untouched on the plate...

Braised Lamb Shank - wrapped in phyllo, potato puree, roasted root vegetables

W had the other braised meat option which was the lamb shank. W said it was great (although too little veggies for me) but with my queasy state, just looking at it made me feel full and nauseaus. 


Tiramisu

W chose the tiramisu thinking that it would arrive like a slice of cake but instead it came in a small ramekin. It ate like a mousse rather than a light airy cake. He said it still tasted good but the texture and appearance wasn't what he expected.

Kiwi sorbet

I still had to end the meal with dessert (I can't resist!) but when I read the menu, the only one that didn't make me feel sick was the kiwi sorbet. I was sooooooo glad I ordered the sorbet!!! The kiwi sorbet was surprisingly refreshing, sweet and just little tart. Just what the doctor ordered for my upset stomach!


Pear Yogurt Clafoutis

My sis stepped away from the ordinary and tried the clafoutis. I didn't try it but it looked like a mix between a custard and a cake. 

I think this meal was the least enjoyable one on the trip; not because the food was bad but because my nausea made it unbearable to enjoy the food and the evening with my family :(

No comments:

Post a Comment