Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Coffee Bun

1011-1163 Pinetree Way
Coquitlam, BC
(Henderson Place, facing Lincoln Ave.)

The Coffee Bun is a bakery and cafe that offers their special UFO-shaped baked bun, some desserts, as well as a variety of coffee (they serve Kicking Horse coffee) and teas. The original store is located in North Vancouver and their second store opened up in Henderson mall a while ago.

I've been meaning to try this place but there's always something else that pulls me away. I guess it's some sort of vibe that the mall emits that makes people divert away haha... The locals know what I'm talking about. This mall is like a mini ghost town! There are more vacant shops than there are tenants! Anyway.


On a sunny but chilly weekend, my sis and I wanted to have something to warm up after a walk in the park with my niece. Since we were close by, my sis suggested popping into The Coffee Bun. I was quite surprised that the cafe was filled with people! There were some teens hanging out and some middle-aged ladies having tea and chatting. We opted to buy the buns home to eat. I also bought a cup of green tea. They have fruit teas and herbal teas but I just picked a green tea from a tea bag.

Red bean coffee bun

As the buns cooled off a bit during the car ride home, I re-heated them in a toaster oven. It helped crisp up the topping again. The buns reminded me of the Hong Kong style bun "Mexican bun" which also had a smooth, crumbly and sweet top. The red bean one had an adequate amount of sweetened red beans inside. The beans were soft but still retained its round shape. I found this bun a little too sweet for my liking.

Vanilla custard coffee bun

I liked the vanilla custard bun more. The filling was smooth and not too sweet with hints of vanilla flavour. It gave the bun a more light and airy feeling. My sis liked the red bean one more though.

I would like to go back to The Coffee Bun again and try their other flavours (they have chocolate, cinnamon, cream cheese, as well as savoury ones like garlic and coffee bun sandwiches). However...it'll be hard to resist those vibes emitting from the mall!!

No comments:

Post a Comment