Monday, July 2, 2012

Au Petit Chavignol

843 East Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC

Ever since I had the fabulous Croque Madame at St. Honore's Boulangerie in Portland, I've been trying to find places in Vancouver that serves it too. One such place was Au Petit Chavignol on East Hastings Street. They are a cheese and wine specialty restaurant with a retail section next door.


We were the first to arrive on a sunny late Friday morning but the place was bustling right around 12pm. The dining area was small with a few tables and some bar seating.

Croque Madame
Mr. Crunch topped with a poached free run egg

It was a given that I'd order their Croque Madame! This was their version of the Croque Monsieur a.k.a Mr. Crunch (toasted ham and cheese sandwich) except with a poached egg on top. They usually serve this sandwich with a fried egg on top but I requested a poached egg instead so I could re-create the oozing egg yolk that I had at St. Honore.

I forgot to request a soft poached egg so they gave me a standard medium egg, hence, I did not get much egg yolk ooze... The sandwich was true to its name. The bread stayed crunchy until the last bite, even with all that bechamel sauce on top! However, the sauce stiffened up halfway through so the sandwich didn't have that ooey-gooey cheesiness to it anymore (the lack of oozing egg yolk didn't help either). The first few bites were excellent though. The ham was a little on the dry side but that's just me being nit picky.


Feature sandwich of the day
Egg Salad Sandwich with side salad

W ordered their sandwich of the day. It was a simple egg salad sandwich with tomatos and lettuce on whole grain bread. The sandwich came with a side salad which consisted of arugula and some sliced red onions tossed in a vinaigrette. The sandwich was pretty plain (something I could make at home) but it was fresh and a good size for lunch. I thought the salad paired better with my Croque Madame because it helped cut the cheesy richness.


As we were finishing up, a table near us ordered a bottle of rosé champagne for lunch! Wow, some people sure know how to enjoy a sunny Friday afternoon... 

No comments:

Post a Comment