Monday, February 7, 2011

豆豉鯪魚 Fried Dace in Black Bean Sauce

Lucky Joy BBQ Restaurant
11780 Thorpe Road
Richmond, BC


Do you know how many years it has been since I savoured this delicious, salty canned fish?? When I was small, my family used to open a can of fried dace in black bean sauce (FDBBS for short) to add to the dinner table once in while. Then, for some reason, this particular canned product just disappeared and it had also disappeared from my memory.

Last year, all of a sudden, I had a craving for FDBBS but I couldn't find it in all the Asian supermarkets throughout the city!!! After some searching on the Internet I found out that for many years now Canada had stopped allowing the import of this canned fish from China because of a chemical, malachite green, contaminating the fish which could cause cancer. Well....this news didn't seem to damper my craving haha...
Then, one Saturday in January, I found the elusive FDBBS at Lucky Joy!!! Oh, what luck and what joy! Haha!



The fried dace in black bean sauce was stir-fried with romaine lettuce so the overall saltiness was just right. It went very well with rice. There were not a lot of chunks of the fish but, hey, I'm not complaining. I was just overjoyed to have found FDBBS in the city. We asked the chef where he got it from but all he said was that his supply was from the U.S. Well, I guess it doesn't matter since I now know where to go to get my FDBBS fix!

1 comment:

  1. This product has been recalled as it contains high levels of histamine can cause scombrotoxic fish poisoning if eaten. Do a google search for sources.

    ReplyDelete