Monday, May 27, 2019

Saku

1773 Robson Street
Vancouver, BC

After much prodding, W finally took me to Saku for their Japanese deep fried pork cutlet sets! :D Ever since our trip to Tokyo and having an authentic tonkatsu meal, I've been hankering for something similar back home.

Finally, a sit-down tonkatsu specialty store had opened up in downtown Vancouver!

Rosu Katsu Set ($17) - Deep Fried Bread Pork Loin

I ordered the Rosu Katsu set which consisted of 2 pork loin pieces. The set came with a bowl of rice, miso shiru (miso soup with daikon, carrots and pork pieces), tsukemono (pickles), a mortar and pestle with toasted sesame seeds, a dish of sea salt, tonkatsu sauce, and UNLIMITED SHREDDED CABBAGE!! LOL... yes I am excited about UNLIMITED cabbage!!

 Hire Katsu Set ($18) - Deep Fried Bread Pork Fillet

W's Hire Katsu set had the exact same side dishes. The pork fillet only came in 1 piece and not 2 like mine.


On each table, there were 2 bottles of sauce for the shredded cabbage; one is a ponzu sauce and the other is a creamy sesame sauce. I preferred the ponzu with my cabbage as it was savoury and tangy. It seemed more refreshing and helped cleanse the palate from the breaded pork and rice. I found the sesame sauce a bit sweet which stripped the natural sweetness from the cabbage.

Both W and I enjoyed our tonkatsu meal at Saku. So happy that there's a place here in the city to eat Japanese style pork cutlet with all the traditional fixings! We will definitely come back again to try their tonkatsu curry udon and bukkake udon too!

No comments:

Post a Comment