Monday, April 1, 2013

Omega Cafe

1 - 2929 St. John's Street
Port Moody, BC


With the addition of a baby in my sister’s household, she and her husband have been pretty much confined to dining around their neighbourhood. She has been to Omega Café in Port Moody a few times for lunch and thought the food was pretty good so she recommended it to me and my parents. With good value and freshly made food, it was definitely a suitable alternative to Tim Hortons (which was once our family favourite)!


Just like Timmy’s, you order at the counter and they’ll make your food for you. They also serve coffee and home-made donuts too!

Eggs, sausage and toast - served with panfried potatoes

Chicken vegetable soup(?) - Soup of the day

My bro-in-law had one of their breakfast options and tacked on the soup of the day to round out his meal.

Salmon Burger - served with fries, pickled jalapeno pepper; topped with sprouts, cucumbers, tomatos, lettuce, onions

My sis went with the salmon burger which was on their ‘special of the day’ menu board. Seeing how it was difficult for my sis to lift the burger up and eat it without having the contents spilling out, I’d say it was a pretty big burger. The pan-fried salmon still looked moist too. Along with a huge a pile of fries, this was definitely a hefty lunch!

Clubhouse Sandwich - Turkey, bacon, tomatos, cucumbers, lettuce on ciabatta bun

The Clubhouse is always my mom’s go-to sandwich anywhere. At Omega, their version has turkey and bacon as the meat, with tomatoes, cucumber slices and lettuce filling up the rest of the layers.


It also came with pickled jalapeno peppers and a gherkin.

Ham and Cheese Omlette - served with toast and panfried potatoes

When W’s omelette arrived on the table, we didn’t expect it to look like a breakfast pizza! Haha! Rather than the typical egg crepe folded with fillings inside, it was round and pan-fried with ham and cheese on top of the egg. Despite the appearance, it was still a tasty breakfast. The Pan-fried potato hash was crispy and delicious too. We noticed that their toast was made with a Panini press haha!

Shepherd's Pie (featured special of the day) - served with side of gravy, small salad

As for me, I decided on the Shepherd’s Pie because I’m a meat-and-potatoes kinda gal! The cashier/owner(?) advised that it would take a while because it’s baked to order. When it came out it was piping hot with a nicely browned mashed potato topping. The shepherd’s pie came in a pie crust, which I thought was unusual because all the shepherd’s pie I’ve had before just consisted of the ground meat filling and the mashed potato topping. Nonetheless, it was still a very hearty pie! On the side was a small bowl of gravy. At first I wasn’t sure what it’s for because the pie was moist and flavourful by itself. However, as I was getting to the middle of the pie, the mashed potatoes were a little dense so the gravy helped moisten the topping making it easier to eat. The “salad” also provided a break from the rich meaty goodness.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and prices of the food at Omega Café! My only complaint was that the jam they provided for the toast was not “jammy” anymore =P It’s been sitting there for a long time so the jam inside the plastic containers turned gummy and dry…yech.

Side note: we went for a second visit around Chinese New Year and the owner gave us a plate of complimentary donuts to celebrate the holiday! The home-made donuts were pretty big and they were not too dense and not too sweet. Pretty good donuts!! The owner (I’m guessing he’s the owner since he had the power to give away donuts!) is a really nice man and I am glad to support these local “mom ‘n pop” shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment